Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Drama In The City: Man on Segway With Crazy Dogs

This afternoon I took the baby and dog for a walk around the seawall. It had been a grey cloudy kind of day and as soon as I saw the sun peek out I hit the sidewalk for our stroll. Baby was hollering up a storm, he is trying to learn how to sing but isn't quite there, and the dog was being a good girl and was nicely heeled right by the stroller on her leash. La de da life is good! Well, it was all peaches and cream until 'the incident' took place.

Where we live there is a small community of people and dogs that you see every day and you sort of get to know who is who and who does what. Sort of like a small town within the city so to speak. Our dog Maggie is a good girl and her only bad flaw is that she is quite ball obsessed and gets so excited when she sees anyone playing with a ball.

Anyways, back to today and our lovely seawall stroll that was rudely interrupted by a dude on a segway (yes a freakin' segway, I am not kidding) and his two Australian Shepard's that are conveniently off leash. Anyways, the segway dude is taking up the whole sidewalk with his ride and was chatting to some other guy about how cool Australian Shepard's are.

I stroll by with my babe and my dog nicely tucked into my side and all of a sudden his dog lunges towards our old girl with teeth and saliva flying everywhere. It is our THIRD time that his (off leash) dogs have attacked our dog and this time there was some blood. I kind of surprised myself by being able to pull my dog out of the dog attack pile and yell, "this is the THIRD time your dogs have attacked MY dog!" He acted a little oblivious and was busy pulling his dogs off and away and then....then his segway FELL onto another pedestrian who was coming up some nearby stairs. Yeah, I am serious and the lady did a good yell as she fought off the segway. It was all a good scene really but one I would have liked to observe versus being involved in.

The conclusion is that I rushed home and was in a bit of a panic and my good old husband went on out and randomly ran into a police officer who started cruising the neighbourhood for segway dude and his duo of dogs. There was no fiery dramatic ending really. My husband ran into segway guy, who smelled of booze and apologized and said his dogs NEVER are vicious. He gave his name and number but it still leaves a bitter taste. This is the third dog attack in a two week period and it freaks me out.

Has anything like this happened to you? What have you done? Got any advice or tips for me? I am bound to run into this dude again and my first instinct is to bolt across the road. Here is a ridiculous picture of a mother pushing her stroller while riding a segway.

10 comments:

Guest said...

It would have been a lot more appropriate to just complain about an irresponsible dog owner or an intoxicated person. There is no cause for any pejorative comments on the Segway as the Segway had nothing to do with the irresponsible behavior. In much the same manner should a person operate a car irresponsibly or an intoxicated state the person should rightly be punished but it has nothing to do with the automobile itself.

September 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM  
Katherine said...

Hey Guest, I am guessing you must be a segway owner and lover? I don't think Mama in the City was saying anything negative about the segway. Cool your jets! She was just painting the picture of what happened. Plus, in my own personal opinions, riding a segway while drunk and with crazy dogs off leash paints an interesting picture. Segways are sort of nerdy and don't fit in on small city sidewalks. Just my opinion. Don't get all hot and bothered.

September 7, 2009 at 3:46 PM  
Mama in the City said...

The great thing about writing on your own blog is that you can complain about whatever you want. Yeah! I know that my blog post was put up on a Segway forum and am sure that is how you found this parenting blog. The Segway was the side story. Seeing it run off the stairs and topple on top of a women was a story enough. If it was a stroller, a wheelchair, a bicycle, etc it would have been mentioned too. It just so happened that it was a Segway. There really is not very man Segway's in this city and this is maybe the second one I have seen. Memorable.

September 7, 2009 at 4:05 PM  
Mama in the City said...

Oh Katherine :) ! Thanks for coming by and for your comment. You are right, I was just trying to paint a picture! Segway or not.

September 7, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Frederick said...

The Segway is a great motorized vehicle for people in the city. It should be used more often and saying negative things about it won't help! Putting Segway in your title makes it sound like you are dissing all of us who ride Segways.

September 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM  
Husband in the City said...

I'm the blog writer's husband and I'm going to side with the Segway riders -- they aren't nerdy. Maybe they need to take a page from Apple and start getting Segways in schools so kids will think they're cool and not grow up with the stigma the adults have against Segways and their riders. Anyway, I have a lot of respect for the inventor -- if you haven't seen his revolutionary water purification system that can turn swamp sludge into drinking water, click here: http://gizmodo.com/370698/colbert-first-vid-of-dean-kamens-miracle-water-distiller

The post was supposed to be about the dog owner. He was nice enough after I caught up to him but really irresponsible to have his dogs still off the leash after they had already gone after our dog twice in the past two weeks. It wasn't about the Segway but it sure did make the story funnier. Even the cop was laughing (and apologizing for laughing) at my story as I told her I was looking for a guy on a Segway with two off-leash Aussies and that he had pinned a screaming lady to the stairs with his Segway while is dogs were on the attack.

September 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM  
Sarah Hannaford-Mcgregor said...

Wow, who would have thought that writing about a segway would cause more controversy than the circumcision article! Everyone has an opinion I guess.

September 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM  
Guest said...

Segways are strange! The drunk dog owner is even stranger. I hope your doggie is okay. SOunds like a scary incident.

September 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM  
Husband in the City said...

Segway guy follow-up: the said transport device was seen today now up "for sale" while chained near the local grocery shop. Low price: $6,400.

September 11, 2009 at 6:16 PM  
Husband in the City said...

Segway guy follow-up: the said transport device was seen today now up "for sale" while chained near the local grocery shop. Low price: $6,400.

September 11, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails