Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver



If you have read any part of this blog of mine you know that I am a mama who loves to wear her baby. This week it is International Babywearing Week. Did you know that? I didn't but I am celebrating it now!

I didn't really start out in motherhood thinking that babywearing was something that I was interested in but it became necessity for survival and sanity with our fussy crying babe. You can read about our experiences with babywearing HERE. The best part is that I happen to love wearing Ben and he loves it too. In fact he is happiest on my hip with the sling hugging him tight next to me. I use a Gorgeous Baby sling and have my favorite one that I love to use.

Hosted by imgur.com

We also have a Bjorn front carrier along with our Gorgeous Baby slings. My husband has used a Bjorn and a sling and I have my favorite sling that I bring everywhere. Even Ben's Auntie Glynis would wear him in a sling during the cry fest of 2008. We still often ditch our stroller in favour of wearing Ben around. When he was really little babywearing sometimes did seem like a chore of sorts but it was a beautiful reprieve from the constant crying. I swear that Iost some postpartum pounds from toting around my baby and doing the fussy baby dance with him in the sling.

Hosted by imgur.com
Hosted by imgur.com

Have you been a babywearing mama or do you still sling and carry your babes around? Tell me your story and celebrate with me! Happy International Babywearing week to everyone! Find out more about babywearing here.

Hosted by imgur.com

16 comments:

Janine said...

You are a true inspiration to motherhood and what it means and takes to be one. I love the black and white picture and your baby looks squished into heavenly peace right there. *Sigh*

September 24, 2009 at 4:51 PM  
Tammy said...

Hey Mama! He looks so sweet. Love love that last snuggly picture.

I loved my Moby when Henry was first born. He'd fall right to sleep. It really helped when we weren't comfortable with ots of people holding him, they would say "oh it looks too complicated to get him out". Then one day he just wanted nothing to do with it. I was bummed, but now he'll sit peacefully in th Baby Bjorn for a bit. I think I love it more than he does.

September 24, 2009 at 4:54 PM  
Koo & Poppet said...

I've tried them all and my favourite is the ERGO! I love it when my daughter falls asleep in it :)

September 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM  
Sheryl said...

I really love my bjorn and so does my husband. My vote is for a baby Bjorn. I just wish that it carried heavier babies! My boy is 4 months and 20 pounds already!

September 24, 2009 at 8:49 PM  
Guest said...

A friend of mine loves her ergo baby and when i have little ones i will look to get one those too! it looks so comfortable.

September 24, 2009 at 8:55 PM  
Mama in the City said...

Awe thanks Tammy! The shop where we bought that sling is also using that photo of our babe for their slings. He was comfy and sometimes would only sleep there. Thank goodness that has changed now that he is bigger/older. We had the same thing about people touching him too! The whole Ergo or sling is just too complicated so they give up hey!

September 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM  
Mama in the City said...

That is the best hey. When they fall asleep when you are wearing them. I seriously love it!

September 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM  
Mama in the City said...

Ooh big boy!! The sling I use goes up to 35 lbs and I think the Ergo is similar. Maybe worth a change?

September 24, 2009 at 8:58 PM  
Husband in the City said...

I think you thought it was a bit silly when I bought a sling before Benj was even out of the hospital... now we have five of them! Remember trying to get him in it the first few times? But what a lifesaver it turned out to be. And you're right, it is still his favourite spot!

September 24, 2009 at 9:07 PM  
Husband in the City said...

It is sad I have to give up the Bjorn soon, too... he really is too big for it now.

September 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM  
Guest said...

oh i LOVE my ergo !! i love the extra weight for my walks ... oh ya and the snuggling of course;)

-denise

September 24, 2009 at 9:41 PM  
Andrea Firmani said...

Yes! You are right. I did sort of think it was funny but I am SO glad you did buy it now! The first few sling times it was like a 2 person job to get him in....but I think that is part of being a new parent to a newborn.

September 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM  
Andrea Firmani said...

Thanks for the comment Denise!

September 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM  
Nat said...

As you know my sling was a life saver. I really liked it because it was the only place my baby would settle during her very fussy first few months and it gave me my hands back to do other stuff. Now she freaks out when put in it but I have started wearing her on my hip with it and that works well. I really don't know how I would have got through the first few months without it.
It also took me a while to figure out how to use it...my mom had the watch the videos and teach me!

September 25, 2009 at 8:57 PM  
phdinparenting said...

Beautiful pictures and gorgeous carriers! Thanks for sharing.

September 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM  
Jenna said...

You mean, I missed Babywearing Week?! Well, I'll just have to have a belated celebration. Used to call my Jack Kangaroo Jack because he LOVED to be in pocket! SO SWEET!

September 29, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails