Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Flip Flop: The Sounds of Vacation

There are so many things that I am thankful for this past year and one of them is the support of family and friends since Ben arrived. How amazing are you? Let me tell you! I am seriously and deeply thankful for all the people who stepped up to get involved in our new family and our day to day lives. We only have 1 direct family member that lives anywhere near us; my youngest sister who is newly married and lives about an hour away. Ben sees the most of her because of geography and she doesn't yet have her own babies. She absolutely loves Ben and sings an auntie arrival song about him on her weekly visits.



In a few weeks my husband and I are going on a long date and we are relying on my family to take care of Ben. So, this long date is spanning 10 days out of the country. I have been away from Ben for a total of 2 nights since I had him 11 months ago. He is going to be 1 when this date happens and I am feeling anxious about leaving my boy already. Of course I am totally excited too and the thoughts of sand and sun filled with sleeping and relaxing and just rejuvenating. It's a special treat for my 30th birthday and a little celebration for surviving our first year as parents.



I seem to be going back and forth between feeling worried about being away and feeling happy knowing Ben will get to spend some special time with my other family members. They live a bit further away from the city and see him every 1-2 months. They live like 3.5 hours away versus my youngest sis's 1 hour journey. Knowing that Ben will be with my oldest sis and my parents making me feel very content. My Mum did raise me right? I mean she survived 3 daughters so I am thinking she will snap right back into 'mothering' action. My Dad has already checked in to see if he will be able to feed his grandson Smarties while he has his visit. There are fun filled days planned with my Ben's 2 cousins and I am sure the time will just quickly move by.



Do you have any tips or thoughts on leaving your babies? Against vacations that are private from the children? Let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Marie Honeken said...

Dear Mama,

It is really normal to feel that anxious feeling because, after all, you are leaving your baby and that is really your whole world. I am sure there will be a bit of transtion period when your baby is left with someone else but it will be good for everyone. I read your articles about all his challenges and you deserve this get away with your husband. If only every parent could get this reward we would probably all be better parents. Have fun and post fabulous pictures.
Grandma Marie

August 10, 2009 at 9:12 AM  
Katie said...

Hi Mama in the City,
I hope you have a wonderful vacation with your husband. We have 'sent' our kids to the grandparents every single summer and it is wonderful for everyone. The first few nights I have trouble sleeping and still wake up at 'the crack of dawn' but it gets better and better and my kids have a close relationship with their grandparents.

Good luck.
From Katie.

August 10, 2009 at 10:31 AM  
Sister Sarah said...

Auntie Sarah is very happy that you are leaving Ben with us....finally I get him ALL to myself. This is going to be an annual event you know (better let your husband know) so start planning your future holidays. As you are fully aware we didn't have cousins growing up so this is a big deal...I have looked forward to this since you were pregnant:)

August 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM  
Mama in the City said...

Love the pic sis and love that you are so excited to have Ben for all those days..and nights..and more days!

August 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM  
mama duck said...

je suis jalous (i think that's jealous in french??) :) love your-friend-who-won't-take-a-vacation-like-that-for-at-least-20-years, erin!

August 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM  
Guest said...

Andrea it is normal to feel anxious, and yes when you are away, you jump back and forth from being anxious, and relaxed. ..BUT one phone call a day to talk to your sis..you feel perfectly fine..so do it early in the day, that way you will enjoy the whole day:) it worked for me! Ben will adjust so quick, he will miss you when you come back, not while you are gone, cause he is going to feel like he is on vacation too. With grandparents and Auntie to spoil him, and cousins to play with him non stop. Have a wonderful trip:))

Bal

August 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails