Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Our Family: And Maggie Makes Four

There is a family member I do not talk about. She is quite hairy and is known to have a bad odor and her breath can be just terrible. Her name is Maggie and she is about 9 years old and we adopted her from the local SPCA about 1.5 years ago. We aren't totally sure how old she is but she is an older gal who was found wandering along the streets of a neighbouring suburb all by her lonesome. She had no collar on or chip in her ear and so after hanging around the SPCA she came home with us. We think she is a miniature Australian Shepard but don't have her history.



When I was pregnant Maggie diligently stayed by my side. If I was in the bath she was right there in the bathroom with me and when I would go have a nap she would come and lay down at the side of the bed. This is the most interest she ever paid me. As it got closer to having my son our dog Maggie would follow me around the house. She knew something was happening.

Everyone would ask how the dog was with the baby and we always would say, 'she couldn't care less'. She just didn't seem interested in the bundle of joy we brought home even with the persistent loud crying. She looked more annoyed and stopped following me around and instead she would take off and find a quiet place in our apartment away from all of us. When Ben started to become mobile and dropped food from his highchair it seemed that Maggie became more interested. Now I am finding myself saying, 'stop french kissing the dog'. Ewww and gross. Ben loves his dog Maggie and Maggie is starting to become tolerable of Ben. Now Maggie the dog is a city girl. Riding the elevator up and down and checking out sights and sounds.

2 comments:

Amanda Brown said...

She's adorable, and it's so fun to see your children begin to interact with your pup, and vice versa. We've got a dog too, and although he's become somewhat neglected by me with the busyness of the kids, I'm so glad they get to grow up with a dog of their own around and that they're not afraid of animals.

PS: My blanket arrived yesterday and it's beyond adorable. Thanks again for hosting that giveaway! :)

July 28, 2009 at 8:16 AM  
Janine in the Valley said...

Amazing photos and so cool you guys 'adopted', more people should go to the rescues and the pound and less people buying thousand dollar dogs. It makes me sick quite frankly. You sure got a good pup!

July 28, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails