Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Confessions of a Wannabe Sleepaholic



I love sleep and I love a lot of it. I function at my best when I clock in at least nine hours of uninterrupted sleep. You can always count on me to want a nice afternoon siesta too. However, my baby is not a great sleeper and I am feeling it. I am tired and over tired and would like a nap and a big long lounge in bed in the morning. Ben has been a tough sleeper since he was born into this world. Never one to go the extra mile and sleep through the night or sleep away the afternoon. He was a busy baby in utero and has kept up his claim to fame once he was born.

Ben cried for so many hours as a tiny baby and we learned to cope, and just plain old survive, by co sleeping with him. He loved it and thrived! Slept and nursed! Slept and nursed! He never had any long wake up periods and was seriously content but things got tricky once the boy could move and crawl. He was sleeping but I was not and my body was just aching from sharing the bed space. Plus my husband had started to become accustomed to sleeping on the pull out couch too often. Once we moved to our new apartment we thought now would be a great time to change things up. He is in a crib in his own room and he despised it at first and let us know! Now he falls asleep easily in his crib on his own but wakes up frequently through the night. Sometimes for an easy soother replacement and sometimes for a bit longer.

Sometimes I have felt so desperate that I will admit to constantly googling the term 'my baby does not sleep through the night' or asking other mamas what their tricks were. Sadly, we have tried ALL the tricks and we have read many top sleep books and checked out various websites and listened to great advice. All of these in some combination have been a bust. We have now come to a place in our parenthood adventures where we have just accepted that this is our baby. He wakes up briefly through the night and needs to be parented a bit. It is exhausting and tiring but we realize this is such a short phase in our lives and we are up to the challenge. For now.

I sometimes wonder how different my life would be if I had a baby who slept well and slept long long through the night but we have come face to face with reality. We got the non sleep and he is full of day time energy, loves to laugh, play games and 'dance' when I sing. He just doesn't sleep all night long.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love your blog, andrea. even though we can't chat very often (eveR!) it is so great to hear about you and your challenges/joys here with me in mama land. :) you are a rad mom! love erin

June 28, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Jill said...

Ahhh...yes. I don't know exactly how old he is, but he *looks* to be the same age (7-8 months?) that I had the great sleep meltdown. I was. so. tired. He was so tired. Nothing was working. The good news is, I was told, it's normal for that age (and Kendall never slept for crap either). It gets better. I promise. You do what you have to do to survive. Hang in there.

June 29, 2009 at 4:02 PM  
Sister Sarah said...

Well, you know how I got a kick in the bum after Gavin was born. And even though 22 months later he sleeps well, we always have somebody waking us up. Sleep, what is that? I am pretty much a walking Mommy Zombie. So at least you know that you aren't alone.

June 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM  
Nat said...

With my first Nyla I found I was constantly so worried about her co-sleeping with us in fear that she would be 10 and still in our bed. Then at the age of 2 she was easily moved out of our bed and sleeps very well on her own. All that worrying for nothing! Now having my second girl I find I don't obsess and worry so much about sleep but the "tricks" for a very fussy almost 3 month old! As moms I think it is natural to worry about something because that makes us better moms!

July 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM  
Mama in the City said...

Nat- you are right on about the worry; it does keep our minds on the need at hand. I hope that if we have # 2 I will either be more relaxed with everything!

July 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM  
Sister-In-Law Sarah said...

How fabulous!! So enjoyed reading your posts....it's fun to think back to the "baby stage"! Feels so long ago!
Love,
Sarah :)

July 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails