Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

The Birthday Cake

The other day I turned 34 and had a little celebration the on the eve before with my family and youngest sister, brother in law and their baby Alice. I had told my husband beforehand that I wanted a really good cake to cap off the evening and he listened, he really really listened.

Let's go back 4 years ago when I had a dinner celebration at my favourite downtown restaurant Chambar with a bunch of good friends. We had the way back room and at the end of dinner we celebrated with the best chocolate cherry birthday cake. It had the perfect density and there were soft cherries and rich chocolate. I totally fell in love with that cake. I really think if you are going to have cake it should be really perfect and this cake was.

After serving up friends there was a single piece of chocolate cake left to take home. How perfect! A little treat for the next day! It turns out that later that same evening my husband had a hankering for just a little bit more of that birthday cake, so he went and got the last piece of cake and devoured every crumb. The devastation the next morning when I discovered the empty carton in the garbage was palpable. I sort of thought that the last piece of cake went to the birthday girl. The problem really was that the cake was so delicious and hard to resist.

This year he tracked down the pastry chef that had made the cake back in 2009 and now owns Cadeaux Bakery in Vancouver and ordered the same chocolate cherry cake. It was a fantastic surprise and enthusiastically enjoyed. We split the last piece the next day and I'm thinking there should be a repeat performance next year.







Related Posts with Thumbnails