Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

From Babyhood to Toddlerhood 2.0

People are always asking me how old Josie is and I usually give them a wrong number because I just haven't kept track of things like I did with my first baby. I wonder if that has something to do with the 'second child' syndrome people warned me about? For the longest time I would just say, 'she is 1!' but it turns out that mothers of other little ones like to be told xx months. So, I started to say how many months she was but I was always getting it wrong. I'd forget to add the next month and forever she was just 14 months...but not really. My sweet girl is 16.5 months old to be totally exact and she is in the transition stage from babyhood to toddlerhood.


Full of mischief she is.


Have you ever heard people say that a hard baby=easy toddler and an easy baby=hard toddler? It turns out that with Ben that was true and he was a total toddler delight. No meltdowns in public, no running off, no terrible 2's to be heard of. Josie was my 'easy baby' and sort of just fit in with our family without much trouble. I scoffed at people who had told me adjusting to the second baby was really hard, because for us that wasn't the case. Josie was a quiet baby and followed the text books for baby milestones as if they were written for her. Then the girl turned an official '1 year old' and she started to lose some of her babyness. She wanted more independence and wanted to be much like her older brother. Cue the screeching! The snatching! The hitting! Oh my.


What? Who me? I don't screech in the grocery store line up!





I admit to feeling a little sad that my baby days are nearing an end. Even with all the intensity and exhaustion I really truly just love the baby stage. Holding them close and feeling their tiny bum in your hand. Smooching their softness as they sleep on you. I could go on and on. I have to push myself to be excited for toddlerhood and remember how many positives comes along with each new stage. I'll be smiling through all the screeching in the grocery shop line up and the meltdowns when she has to return to sitting in her stroller.



5 comments:

mazoola said...

i think when i finally say the word '2' is when it'll really hit me that i no longer have a baby. on a side note, Josie still looks like a baby ..until the hair starts rapidly sprouting

May 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM  
Kristin said...

Oh my goodness! She has changed so much! Wow! Still so baby, but she has really changed in her face! Where did those huge baby cheeks go? Wow!
Truthfully, i still hold on to my small K being my baby. Her tush is still tiny and babyish to me. Really, I am in denial that she's closer to 4 than 3 now. ; ( Yikes!

May 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM  
Solomama said...

Unreal...she is all grown up!
I have a birth coming up at St. Pauls, hope to see you!

May 27, 2013 at 7:29 AM  
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator. May 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM  
Unknown said...

She looks so grown up! What happened?! Such a cutie btw :)

I completely relate to your post. When J was a baby, I knew exactly how many weeks old he was down to the day. With Z, I just went by months. And now she'll be a year old until she gets to a year & a half and so on. It must be the "second baby syndrome"!

May 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails