Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

It's More Than A Box

Spring break kicked off over here and I have all these glorious expectations of the fun that we are going to have over the next two weeks while Ben's class is on break. I've decided I'm not going to get hung up over the lack of routine that is going to naturally happen. There is something about that 9 AM school start that really sets the whole flow of the day for us. Everyone has to be up and dressed and fed and out the door for our walk to school by 8:45 AM at the very latest. With this break I see the potential for wearing pyjamas at 10 AM on a Wednesday just around the corner and I'm totally digging it and will sweetly embrace the change of routine.

To help get prepped for the potential of at home rainy days we will most likely have over the next couple of weeks, we made a trip to our local arts and craft shop and stocked up on various fun art supplies and a new art box to boot. I am not a naturally crafty gal so it is a bit of a stretch for me to figure out anything really cool in the craft department. If you want to check out a blog with a very crafty mama go see what Jen has been up to over at her blog Mama Papa Bubba. I recently met Jen and when I found out she is a kindergarten teacher I was like, 'oooh now it makes so much sense!'. Seriously, she is one crafty mama!

Bringing the art box home was an adventure too since we had to walk a good 6 blocks in the rain carrying it home. Wear it on your head in the rain? YES! Climb in and out of it once we get home? YES! Seriously though, we had a lot of funny comments from people while Ben carried the box home. I guess it might be a bit funny to see a little boy with a box on his head walking downtown in the rain?





All of our fun new art supplies were meant to be tidied up, something I am good at, into this big clear tote. I wanted them all to be in one spot and nicely organized so that even when I'm at work the nanny can also have fun with Ben and Josie. However this big tote is more fun than it's intended purpose. It's a really awesome as an art stool while you sit and doodle with your brand new window crayons.



I do like messy art and all the fun that comes with it but I also get some satisfaction when it is nicely nestled in the tote. Now if only I had a label maker to finish off the job I would truly be set!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

YAY for art and art boxes! The girls and I are on our way to Michaels this weekend to pick up some Spring Break crafts to do! I love love love a clean art box as yours looks today! Sadly, mine has grown to about 6 times your box because my girls are craft maniacs! Sometimes all the craft stuff is a bit overwhelming for me when they shove it all together without any consideration of organizing or sorting! I am constantly cleaning it out and resorting it all again! ; ) Oh and my girls LOVE those window writers too, but what a mess to get off, eh?! ; )

March 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM  
Cyndi said...

Hi Andrea! You all have a nice long break up there. Our break starts the last week of March and ends on Kyle's birthday! I have never seen those window crayons, are they sold under a particular name?

March 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM  
Jen said...

I'm obviously quite behind on my RSS feed, but you're SO sweet! Thanks so much for the shout out and enjoy your new projects! :)

March 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM  

Sis, I remembered this post and meant to forward you the name of a great book that my kindies love and your kids will enjoy too:

http://www.amazon.ca/Not-A-Box-Antoinette-Portis/dp/0061123226

May 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails