Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

The Nurse Says Thank You!

Recently I had a vivid dream that one of the OB's I work with decided to give me a performance review, in which they informed me that I spend too much time texting and that I only showed up to work a grand total of 5% of the time. I was ridiculously upset to get such a poor performance review, and woke up all upset before remembering that I was on maternity leave.

Thanks to the dream I've started to slowly kick myself into back to work mode a bit. Heck, I've got to show up more than 5% of the time but maybe not full time? I've had a lot of people ask me if I've missed working and I have! I miss those really wonderful shifts where I get to meet an awesome family, I get all of my breaks, and I also get to be at an awesome birth too. I do not miss 12 hour night shifts or being so busy that there are no breaks in 12 hours. I really do miss the regular camaraderie of my colleagues, because everyone knows that nurses are really awesome friends to have.

"...they informed me that I spend too much time texting and that I only showed up to work a grand total of 5% of the time."


This last year has been incredible to have off from work and I'm forever grateful to have been able to spend this special time with both of my children. All the mamas ahead of me in the parenting game told me how great it would be to spend the whole year with Ben, and they were so right. Together we've done so many fun things this year because of my maternity leave. Not only did my baby benefit from my time off to focus on her, so did my firstborn and I really feel thankful. Thank you Canadian government! You are far from perfect, but I do love your maternity leave system.

In other work related news, I was recently in Pottery Barn Kids when an old patient spotted me and came up to me and started regaling me with funny moments she remembers from her birth experience last year. I think she was one of the last births that I was at before going off on maternity leave. Even funnier is that while I am ingrained into her memory and experience she had no idea that I was quite pregnant during our time together. Good thing my waddling around and extra sitting wasn't too obvious to my patients!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I admit that I am 100% jealous of your maternity leave!

December 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM  
Solomama said...

haha! That's funny! "Spend too much time texting."

December 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM  
Kristin said...

Oh Andrea! What a post. I can so recall the feeling of that ticking maternity leave clock. It will be an adjustment to make. Sounds like you are subconsciously processing that already! ; ) I am so happy to hear that you enjoy the work you do and will at least look forward to returning to what you have for your work experience! I too remember everything about my L&D nurses! Such great people to have by my side! We are so lucky to have such a long time with our babies!

December 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails