Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Friday Afternoons

We are totally into the swing of the Monday to Friday school routine. Every Friday we have been marking the start of the weekend by having a little bit of fun. Ben calls it our Friday fun day and he is quite right. Most of the time we have an adventure together somewhere in the city but sometimes it is also right at home.

I think I'm really starting to feel the need to milk this maternity leave for every day that I still have off from work. I am so thankful for this year off of work and really want to appreciate these moments I'm having with my two babes at home and our little Friday afternoons together are so special to me. I'm sure down the road one night shift when I'm sitting in a labour room a 4 AM and missing my family, it will be these afternoons together that I remember most fondly.

On some Friday afternoons we have lunch at restaurant in Yaletown and then a trip to the book shop. The afternoon usually involves going to a park and always involves a treat. The other week I asked Ben what we should do and he wanted to bake cookies. I actually have not baked anything since Josie was born 9 months ago! I was sort of surprised to make that realization; of course I have been on a lean diet and baking treats is totally not on the menu. See cookie, must eat cookie.




I always have my recipe on my laptop on my kitchen counter when I'm baking. Reading the steps carefully. I used a Martha Stewart recipe for chocolate chip cookies.

I found that baking with Ben as a 4 year old is much more pleasant than when I last baked with Ben before the baby came. This time he was that much older and so patient and interested. I like how something as simple as baking can be a great teaching moment with a kid. Measuring and mixing things together and watching the process unfold. Of course I let him eat as many chocolate chips as he wanted through out the whole thing. It was Friday fun day after all.





6 comments:

Emily Brant said...

Oh, I love this post! I love your apron and your sons fishy apron. I love how into the whole baking thing. How special that you have these moments together. Really nice.

October 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM  
Michelle said...

awe what a cute tradition you guys have created! I'm with you on "see cookie, eat cookie" ... ie why we don't have cookies or ice cream in the house lol
-Michelle {LiveLoudly}

October 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM  

Thanks Emily. I got the apron so long ago at the Circle Craft Christmas Market in Vancouver.

October 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM  
Sarah M said...

Just read the latest 2 entries and I'm always in such a good mood after I read your posts. I love Ben's apron and I can imagine how tasty the cookies were. He seems like such a fun kid. Next time I am in BC I think we should plan on getting together (after all these years).

October 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM  
Amanda said...

So sweet (literally)! ;) I'm looking forward to doing more baking with Lilah in the near future.

October 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM  

how great! love the photos that capture it all! milk those days dry! now i am craving chocolate chip cookies! yum!

October 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails