Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Post Partum Weight Loss: I have reached my goal!

Back in July I gave up eating toast for breakfast and ditched sandwiches at lunchtime. I also traded in most packaged snacks in attempts to help fuel my post partum weight loss that seemed stagnant. I turned back to my old standby of protein fuelled meals and low carb munching that is much kinder on my blood sugars and ultimately also helps me to lose weight. This morning I stepped on the scale and have officially lost all of my pregnancy weight. Today also happens to be Josie's 8 month 'birth' day and I found it quite timely seeing these new numbers on the scale.

Luckily, it hasn't felt like torture with my new eating plan and I've actually enjoyed munching on scrambled eggs in the morning alongside a cup of french pressed coffee. My favourite go to meal is a big salad; I like to throw in toasted nuts and maybe some chopped up eggs and chicken and a large amount of leafy greens. If I'm hungry midday I might grab a handful of almonds and a piece of cheddar cheese and I feel satiated. My one packaged food that I do snack on and carry around with me is a Lara Bar in apple pie. Totally delicious and sometimes works for me for lunch on the run.


The biggest perk of eating fresher food is that I feel full for a good part of the day. My old standby of Adam's crunchy peanut butter on top of some whole grain toast left me grazing and starving by lunchtime. I've also need a lot less insulin since my overall carbohydrate intake has decreased. Win! Win!

I really do have a sweet sweet spot for croissants and crusty rolls but I've given them up for now. I still have the occasional glass of wine and I always have a piece of dark chocolate every evening. I'm not one for feeling food torture and love to have a few treats now and then.

When I first starting thinking about trying to lose my pregnancy weight I was 194 pounds. Then I sat at 191 for a long long time and almost just gave up on things and accepted my current body. Back in April I decided I needed to be a bit more serious about things if I wanted to see change. I was still very kind to my body, the body that grew my healthy 9 pound baby, and I didn't do any drastic dieting. Today on my scale I saw the new numbers of 178 pounds and I was happy. My first goal has been reached and I feel satisfied and strong.

I've told my husband, who is my number one supporter, that my next goal is to lose 6 more pounds and be back at 172 pounds. I'd love to keep up my big salads in lieu of sandwiches and make that goal before our trip to Maui in mid October. Do you think I can do it?


15 comments:

Elizabeth (@Mommy Musings) said...

Way to go! You can totally get to your next goal. Look how you've already reached this last goal and your baby is just 8 months.

September 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM  

Why thank you! Yes, I didn't want to push it and feel too rushed or hurried when she was so little. It was important to me to embrace the huge changes that had gone on in my body and not ignore the fact that I grew and birthed a person...and was still her food source.

September 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM  
Tarable said...

Of course you can do it! Congratulations on the weight loss. Such an awesome feeling. Positive changes bring positive results.

September 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM  
Leeanne said...

you're an inspiration, you! I've yet to shed the weight and it's been two years. So I will start now. stay tuned:)

September 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM  
Kami Lahti said...

Well done Andrea! You look fabulous and your little girl is adorable! I am sure you can meet your next goal. Anyone who can lose weight while breastfeeding is my hero. I couldn't and in fact it took me three years to get serious about losing the baby weight ;)

September 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM  

It is so refreshing to read that. I was seriously going a bit crazy with the whole dieting and breastfeeding thing because it was just not coming off at all. I had the first rapid weight loss pretty early postpartum but then the numbers just stayed still. It wasn't until I cut out wheat that I noticed the shift started to happen for me. Thanks for the support :)

September 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM  

Awe, thanks Leeanne. You are making me blush! My really big inspiration was that I had a closet full of nice clothes that I really really wanted to be able to wear again!!

September 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM  

Totally true Tara. I'm excited for your upcoming #Whole30 journey :) Blog posts please!

September 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM  

Well done! What an accomplishment! I totally think you can do it. It sounds like this first bit has appealed to you in many ways. Perhaps the actual eight loss and a new appreciation of healthier choices you have been eating are great for continued inspiration and success! Go for it. See what happens!

September 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM  

I am really really wanting to slip on my bikini while we are in Maui and feel like I am somewhat pulling it off. That is my next goal! I think I can actually do it or at least get pretty close to it. Next goal will have to be: don't overindulge on treats while on vacation ;)

September 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM  
Jenna Alphenaar said...

Dear skinny mini,
You look OUTSTANDING. It's the first thing I noticed. That blue shirt is excellent as well! Amazing job. Peanut butter alongside a piece of crunchy toast is the biggest sacrifice i've heard of! I could never.
Maybe Sunday's you could sneak a piece?

September 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM  
Michelle said...

Awesome job! Very inspiring and shows how just a few small changes at a time can make a huge difference. You look amazing! Keep up the great work.
Hope you have wonderful weekend in this gorgeous sunshine :)
-Michelle {LiveLoudly}

September 14, 2012 at 1:49 PM  

Why aren't you just the kindest! If I was to have a 'wheat treat' it would be a croissant from Provence. Oh, my butter!!!

September 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM  
Amanda said...

Way to go, Andrea! You look fantastic and you are inspiring me to go for it too. I just started a Fit 4 Two class and I'm easing back into exercise and healthier eating. I find just keeping track of what I'm eating on an iPhone app really helps. If you have to record it, you're a lot more reluctant to put it in your mouth! Also baby Henry doesn't take well to me eating dairy or chocolate, so I guess that helps, and it's worth the sacrifice for a happy baby who sleeps better at night!
I have every confidence that you can manage that last 6 lbs by your trip - especially if you're able to step up the exercise for a few weeks before you go...?

September 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM  
Sherri Belle said...

Thanks for updating us. I remember reading your posts about you wanting to lose the baby weight back in the Spring. I'm so glad that you were able to push on and lose those pounds. You can totally get to your next goal!

October 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails