Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Baby Wearing 2.0

Now that Josie is nearing the 'baby on the hip' stage, I'm doing a bit more slinging while we are out and about. When she starts getting antsy I will whip out my pouch sling and away we go. I love feeling her soft body close to me and having her head rest on me as she dozes or relaxes.

I didn't do as much baby wearing with Josie when she was really wee, mainly because she didn't arrive with the incessant need to be held and carried like her brother Ben had required. Josie just did not need to be bounced or rocked to soothe and was quite content to nurse and then sleep deeply in her bassinet stroller. This was totally a night and day baby experience between our two babies.


Afternoon nap on mama during a carriage ride in Vancouver's Stanley Park, snug in the pouch sling

Even though I didn't do much baby wearing in the early months, my husband most certainly did. He had his old pouch sling out from storage the moment we were home from the hospital and is a real pro with putting newborns into the perfect position and soothing them to sleep in a sling. If you called breastfeeding my parenting weapon, baby wearing was my husbands. If I needed a break, he'd sling her. If she was over tired, he'd sling her.


I was at a 2+ hour appointment, so my husband went on a baby wearing walk about with the Ergo

What's your experience with baby wearing? What's your favourite carrier or sling?

12 comments:

Kristin said...

oh, i love baby wearing. i've only got a bit more time to do it with our ergo carrier before my back and hips will tell me its over. ; ) i loved my little star sling and moby wrap as well. so great to get around hands free and feeling super snuggly. p.s. what a gorgeous photo of you!

July 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM  

Awe, thanks Kristin. Got to love the handiness of the iPhone for capturing snuggling moments like that. I think I'll feel some sadness when it is time to put away my pouch sling...forever!! I'm enjoying a lot right now though!

July 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM  

My hubby teases that I could have opened a baby wearing boutique. I had a sling, 2 Bjorns and the list goes on. My all time favorite that I used the most and with both kids was the Becco. I used it from 2007-2009 so it was before the Becco got fancy with names like the butterfly. I adored it.

July 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM  
Margarita @ FabBrunette said...

I love baby wearing as well, I'm in love with my Balboa Sling right now, and I also have a Stokke Baby Carrier. I have done other slings and the Baby Bjorn, but I've never done a wrap like in your first picture. It intimidates me! lol! But it looks gorgeous :)

July 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM  

LOL I love that Lisa! We have a bit of collection going on in our home too. 3 slings, 1 old Bjorn and the new Ergo.

July 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM  

oh tee hee...it is a pouch sling but it was chilly on the horse ride..so I've wrapped us up in a lovely big baby blanket!

July 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM  
huntersprize said...

Yes to babywearing! I just have one for now, I got it off Etsy and it's like the Moby. Just tie it on and put her in there. I'm going to make a carrier when she is a bit bigger, more like a Mei Tei or the Ergo.

July 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM  

I'd love to hear about your adventures in making a carrier! Also, a huge congrats on having your sweet baby Elise! Amazing!!

July 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM  
Marisa said...

Thank goodness for slings & carriers! I didn't have anything when J was born ... but got desperate one day and zipped him up inside my (fitted) hoodie and snapped a picture with my iphone. I sent the pic to my hubby and said "Can we order a carrier now??" lol! I started with a Moby wrap and it was great until J got too heavy and resisted the tight-ish wrapping. Next came the Ergo and I LOVE it ... technically J still 'fits' in it weight wise but he's wayyy too busy to ride along in front now. I love that it can also be worn on the side/hip or back as a carrier too - a MUST for summer vacationing with a 2 year old!

July 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM  

I've totally done the make shift carrier too! The other day I put baby Josie skin to skin with me and put on a maternity tank top. She was fussy from teething and it totally did the trick.
I'm so happy to hear you loved your Ergo too. I really love seeing pictures of other babes and tots going along for a ride!
Thanks for the comment :)

July 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM  

I used the Peanut Shell with all of my kids - it was stylish and reversible (from red paisley to solid black) and my kids loved it. It even had a little pacifier pouch in the front:) Thank god for slings is all I gotta say!!
I'm a new follower! Would love for you to check my beauty blog out if you get a minute, I'm a mommy with a makeup problem. Yay mom bloggers!! http://www.jennysuemakeup.com

July 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM  
blue0116 said...

Franklin And Marshall propose des vêtements mode de vie pour les personnes qui croient en portant des vêtements de qualité élégant et bon. Internationalement connu pour son extérieur élégant et décontracté le porter s'adresse principalement à la jeune génération. Ils fournissent des vêtements d'été ainsi que des vêtements d'hiver pour les hommes et les femmes.vcx

August 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails