Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

An Outing For 3: Fueled By Java

We survived our first two weeks at home with our sweet Josephine and she has fit right into our family just perfectly. Big brother Ben is doting and his love for her is so evident. I'm still trying to adjust to being up through the night with a newborn and then up for the day with a busy boy, and at times it feels a little bit painful. I keep wondering, when does the adjustment become easier? When will I stop feeling so sleepy? I'm sure my 3 year old is sufficiently tired of hearing me say, 'No Ben, mummy is tired'.

Today my husband helped out and took our boy to his morning gym class just up the street. This gave me one luscious hour to just be with Josie. On her own, the baby is totally doable. So, I had a bath and changed the bed and felt semi decent, just sleepy.

It seems that the tiredness lingers on until about 10 pm and then I get the urge to watch numerous episodes of 'United States Of Tara' on my laptop while my baby sleeps next to me. Why am I not also sleeping? I curse myself in the morning, but repeat the same thing come the next night.

Today I pushed on and everyone was dressed and calm and we went out for a sun filled walk. Doesn't life feel easier when the sun is shining? We played and strolled and stopped along the way to nurse Josie. My goal was to grab a coffee and do a small grocery shop. This was a big deal for me since it was my first purposeful outing with the two. I'm happy to report that it was a success and no one cried.



4 comments:

Sarah M said...

The first successful trip out with two on your own is always so rewarding and empowering!  I remember the first major grocery shop with the 2 boys, made it through alive!  ;o)  

The adjustment does get easier, especially when sleep comes by for longer spurts at night.  Just remember your laptop episodes will always be there and get some much needed sleep! 

February 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM  
cristinalulumum said...

Lady, you need Mama's Helper Tea from Davids Tea (west 4th) for 10pm when you are so tired you're too wired to sleep. I swear buy this stuff and it's much more potent to help wind you down for sleep than most prescription meds. 

Although the active ingredient is valerian root so make sure it's nursing compatible. 

February 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM  
Ashley said...

Yay!  I remember how HUGE that first outting felt when I returned exhausted and completely satisfied I could do it!

February 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM  
Amanda said...

Congrats on your first successful outing!  I agree about the sunshine - everything is easier and more pleasant.

February 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails