Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Apartment Baby: It's Kitchen Sink Bath Time!

'Mum, what are we going to do today?'. This is the very first question of the day when Ben rolls out of his bed and joins me in my bedroom. While I was off on maternity leave, pre baby Josie, I always had some sort of plans for us to do, but right now we are laying low and I don't have any big plans for us.

This morning, through blissful bleary eyes, I thought that maybe a little kitchen sink bath for Josie would be fun for Ben to help with. He was pretty excited by the idea and gathered wash cloths and her towel and his little stool to stand on to help.













This was a great early morning activity for a big brother and a tired mama. Ben was mesmerized by his sister floating in the kitchen sink and being allowed to drip water over her. Josie loves the bath already, she takes after her mummy I think! I've bathed a lot of newborns and this newborn girl is content floating in the warm water.





I'm still in the warm fuzzy swooning stage, but it's meeting up with the constant tired phase too. I'm really trying to relish all these newborn moments and am trying to not wish them away. The frigid Winter weather has kept me cozy inside and we've only had one short walk along the seawall and we were bundled up and baby wearing to keep both of us warm.

I'd love to have a few more cat naps and maybe some meals prepared but that is about it! Poor Ben is feeling a wee bit neglected and I hear a constant sigh of, 'no one wants to play with me'... about 50 times an 1 hour but whose counting? I'm determined that he will learn the art of playing alone, at least for some chunks of the morning where I'm still in my all nighter coma.

8 comments:

I'm glad Ben is being such a big helper! All these pictures were just priceless and too sweet!

January 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM  
Heidi Russell said...

Cutest baby ev-ah!!!! OMG!! What a beauty of a newborn, you must be in heaven!

January 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM  
Molly W. (infertilemommy) said...

I'm glad Ben is being such a big helper! All these pictures were just priceless and too sweet! 

January 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM  
Sarah M. said...

Wow, look at Ben the big brother being so helpful. I can see what a gentle, loving boy he is!  Alex, once again you have captured some amazing emotion and character.  Andrea, you are a very clever gal, you will be able to figure out a way to include Ben in a lot of things and he will think they are games and therefore you are in turn playing with him. 

One idea that has just popped into my head is hide and seek.  At some point hide few items of either his or Josie's that you may need in the course of a day and have Ben find them for you!  I'm sure he loves hide and seek. 

January 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM  
Amanda said...

What a great big brother! And I adore the name Josie - it's on my list. ;)

January 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM  

She wasn't named for the first day and a bit. We had a short list though. Lucky she wasn't a boy because we never got around to making a short list..only a VETO list ;)

January 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM  

Yep! The boy LOVES a game of hide and seek. Great idea by the way. Will have to try it out!

January 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM  
Lesley Raymond said...

Solo play will become Ben's best friend...you will see him grow more and become more independent over the next few months because of it too! When Gwynne was a newborn Finn would get so creative helping...he would build "milk machines" out of lego and straws so he could offer to feed his sister thinking then he could free up some of my time so I could join him in play. Josie is so precious and she has already taught her brother more than either of them know! You are wise to enjoy the newborn moments...I feel like the 2nd time went even faster than the first. 

January 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails