Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

My Day: Third Trimester Check Ups!

I'm into my 33rd week of pregnancy and am growing as expected! Baby is measuring ahead by 2 weeks based on the fancy fundal height tape measurement. Measuring ahead is pretty normal when you are a diabetic. I get to have another fluid and growth ultrasound in 2 weeks.

I have a different perspective about pregnancy being that I'm a high risk pregnancy. While I am a huge supporter of natural birth and am careful about unnecessary interventions, I also know that I'm very fortunate to be able to have a healthy pregnancy that is supported by medicine. So, while I do like the crunchy granola aspect of birth, I also embrace the high tech side of perinatal care.

Today was a full day of prenatal check ups for me. Luckily Ben had his scheduled daycare day with Mary Poppins which allows me to get to all of my appointments and even rest a bit. First up was my weekly OB appointment with my fabulous obstetrician. I chose a different OB for this pregnancy and I am so happy with my choice. She is everything that I want in a doctor and so terrific in the office. Right after I met with her I had to head to the hospital for fetal monitoring.

I'll be honest, I really love going for fetal monitoring. I find the 30 odd minutes sitting in the recliner with my feet up quite relaxing and I love hearing the baby's heart beat. Plus, I know how to interpret the non stress test and I quite enjoy the chit chat with my colleagues while they take care of me.


My view

4 comments:

Molly W said...

aww how cute are you! I'm glad it all went well. 

December 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM  
Amanda said...

Love the view! I remember being a bit stressed by the "non"stress test.  But the second time around I'm sure I'd be a bit more mellow.  It also helps to know what the heck it all means!

December 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM  
Jessica H. said...

Look at your lovely belly! Sounds like you know what you are doing. Congrats!

December 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM  
Tina said...

At least it gives you so much needed time to just sit and rest. It's not like you can do much with all that machinery strapped to your tummy. Maybe a nap next time? ;)

December 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails