Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

I'm Loving My Ladies Who Lunch

I was a lucky lady during my days off from from work this past week! Not only did I have a bunch of consecutive days off in a row, I also had made plans to meet up with friends. First I went to a fabulous lunch with a dear old friend downtown. I hadn't seen her since the month of May but we finally made it work and I really enjoyed meeting up.

A day later I went for a little drive and enjoyed myself at the home of a college friend for some of her homemade soup and crusty bread, with a side of children playing too of course! Then today I met up with a close girlfriend and her daughter for a relaxed few hours at her home. It was made complete with toddler Halloween costumes (a sparkly witch and a hamburger) and some homemade chocolate skeletons. It was a pretty nice bunch of days off really. All of these lunch meet ups are really important to me, maybe even more now than before becoming a mum.

Before I was a mama I used to meet up with friends on my days off all the time. I'd work my 2 days and 2 nights and book lunches out and dinner dates and coffee meet ups galore. I wouldn't think twice about driving into the burbs to hang out with my girlfriends with kids, and I loved it and did it somewhat regularly. Obviously, the same trend can't keep going when you become a parent. There is no way to keep the exact same social life and balance raising a child, but I try. I really do try.


Enjoying high tea at Bacchus at The Wedgewood Hotel back when 'days off' meant exactly that.


Nowadays it might take me months to finally make the drive out of the city, but I will eventually do it! The visits are not at the same frequency as before and I do miss that. I hate that these lovely moments together with friends have to take so much planning and work so they can happen, but it is what it is and life changes and becomes more complex.



The bottom line for me is, I really do get a lot of positive energy from meeting up with girlfriends and fostering friendships over time. Which is why I still try my very hardest to maintain them and keep them growing, even if it is at a much different pace than once before.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I know exactly what you mean.  Sometimes it feels like a huge effort to get together with my girlfriends (we all have VERY different schedules, and sometimes it means I sacrifice sleep), but it always energizes and refreshes me and afterwards I'm always so glad we got together.

October 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM  
Gillian_Shaw said...

It is so important but so hard to do. I think standards just have to shift within friendships, especially if they are friends with no children. You are right, there is no way to keep the same level of get togethers up post children. Plus...what parent has 'free time'?!

October 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM  
Heidi said...

Andrea, our lunch dates sure have changed, haven't they.  And you're right they don't happen as often as they once did, but we are still trying and we get points for that!  Having lunch with friends is even more special now, when it takes more work, planning, and scheduling to make it all happen.  It is certainly worth it, to sit down with friends, a nice meal, and have a nice chat.  So life-giving!
Cheers to you, a lady who still lunches :)

October 29, 2011 at 9:13 PM  
Krista said...

Oh, fond memories! And more to come. It's so lovely that you still make an effort to lunch even though time is so precious.  Life changes!  But I'm sure we'll be back to our old schedule one day. The conversations will be quite different then, and the company will just get better over time :) 

October 30, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails