Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Jump Up! Ben Turns 3

One of the things about living in an apartment is that I truly do not want to host a mass of toddlers for a birthday party. I can envision running around followed by chaos fueled by icing. The last two years we celebrated Ben's birthday in the party room of our condo. We had family and a few friends and a smattering of little children and it worked out exceptionally well both times.

As my boy's 3rd birthday approached he told me very specifically what he wanted to do for his birthday party. Ben wanted to have a gymnastics party over at Jump! Gymnastics. We've been going there for lessons since he was about 8 months old and he has always eyed the 'party room' at the back of the gym.

This type of party sounded more than perfect to me, especially since when I was planning it I was still feeling really sick and the thought of hosting anything that required work made me cry in exhaustion. So, I paid the flat fee and the lovely coaches at the gym took care of all the hard parts. I ordered party invites on line with a monkey theme, as requested by the birthday boy, and mailed them off. I got my older sister involved in coming up with a monkey cupcake and the party just unfolded from there.



















The kids ran themselves silly and shouted with glee and enjoyed chocolate frosting that I didn't need to wipe up. I would seriously recommend this type of birthday party for other Apartment Mama's or any parent to a toddler. We heard really great reviews from the parents of all the children, especially those that slept like angels post gym work out!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Looks like so much fun!  Kid play places make my hyperventilate!

September 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM  
Angella said...

Fun!

(I still can't believe that he's three.)

September 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM  
Amanda said...

Looks like fun! Happy 3rd to Ben!

September 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM  
Lisa S. said...

Sarah did a gymnastics party for her 3rd and 4th birthday party.  I loved it both times and so did she.  The coaches keep them very engaged.  There is enough time for cake, candles and well wishes and then back to the gym for a couple more games and the party is over.  So great.  Happy birthday to Ben.

September 15, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

That sounds like a great party. My daughter's 3rd is coming up in only a few weeks and I still haven't figured out what we're doing. I agree that having it outside of the house is a good idea!

September 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM  
Heidi said...

Even in the suburbs, a party out of the house is a great idea :)  Last year we did Ada's 3rd birthday at the Apple Barn, and she's requested that location again this year.  Fine with me!!!
Our girls loved the gymnastics party and Ada's been asking to go back to Jump Gymnastics ever since!
H

September 16, 2011 at 7:05 AM  

I agree Heidi! I remember when I had a birthday parties back as a young girl and it was in the living room of my family home and with a smattering of friends and cake. I never went to any planned out activity parties until in my teens. How about you?

September 16, 2011 at 9:07 PM  
Kristen said...

Love the cupcakes!  So cute :)

September 17, 2011 at 4:33 AM  
Kami said...

What fun and those monkey cupcakes are genius!  We have a house and I am still all over hosting my boys parties elsewhere ;)

And the kids love it because it is usually something fun and different.  Win win if you ask me!

September 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails