Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

I'm Reading: Tina Fey's Bossypants

The other week I was walking by the big Chapters bookshop downtown and decided to stop inside and treat myself to a brand new book. I have a weakness for buying books and had been eyeing Tina Fey's Bossypants since it first came out last month. I'm 3/4 of the way through and have found myself laughing out loud more often than not. I've done the classic, 'It's so true! It's so true!' slapstick that goes along with reading revealing moments of truth about adolescents and being a girl (periods and body hair for the win!).

This book is full of pop culture references that work for right now, but it will be a little bit 'huh' in years to come. The book is also a lot about the insider scoop of past years at SNL, which can be a hit and miss in enjoyment as a reader. However, I've already got a list of people wanting to borrow the book from me as soon as I'm finished reading it. I might have flipped through a few pages that went on a little too long about the history of SNL, but overall it is a really easy enjoyable read by Tina Fey. Funny enough, since I watch 30 Rock, I can actually hear Tina's voice reading each word aloud. How does she do that? It's almost like a book on tape!


Final verdict: read it!

18 comments:

huntersprize said...

I've been meaning to buy that! I have a Kindle but I'm kind of a baby about buying books for it! Hopefully it goes on sale soon.

May 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

Yeah, do it! I always have a hard time paying full price for a book but sometimes it is worth it!

May 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM  
Tarable said...

Being a little bit of a "book snob" I'm always hesitant (stubborn), to buy the latest pop culture books - and then when/if I do, I try to keep it a secret. I've been trying really hard to snub this book, but too many people who's opinions I value have backed this book.  I will admit it, I'm curious now and it's on my list of to-reads now.  Need to pick it up ASAP. 

May 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM  
Jessica Heslop said...

This is a great and funny book written by a funny lady. It is a perfect afternoon escape and I am glad to see you highlighting it on your blog. Also....LOVE your blog :)

May 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM  

I'm a sucker for buying books too. I absolutely love them. Waiting on the next book by Lisa See coming out at the end of this month. Also interested in reading Water for Elephants ... maybe. Anyways, I will check out this Tina Fey book!

May 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM  
Maralee said...

Funny book but...why oh why did she pick that cover? I know it is suppose to be hilarious but instead it is just unappealing. The hairy man arms, the black hat atop her head. Not good Tina...not good.

May 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM  
Tarable said...
Emily said...

She actually reads the book on tape which is cool. I'm going through it at work. I know what you mean about the pop culture references - no one will like that book in a few years. She'll probably write another one though.

May 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM  
Kristin said...

Oh I've heard so many great things about this book!  I have seen the "Letter to my daughter" chapter posted in another blog!  ; )  Enjoy the read!  

May 25, 2011 at 9:32 PM  

I am reading it right now too.  I was really loving it and then I got about half way and had to take a break.  I like a lot of what she says, especially about parenting and setting a good example for our daughters.  I have read the beginning and the end, now I just need to read the middle.

May 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM  
Kristen said...

Hi Andrea, Just sayin' 'Hi' after not having the time to blog hop a lot lately.  Catching up with your posts - I'll have to look this book up, I love a good laugh

May 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM  

The middle is all SNL and jokes etc etc. Haven't gotten to the breastfeeding part or the parenting part just yet. :)

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM  

Yep! You are probably right on about that one!

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM  

You've nailed it. This is her memoir but really it is also a pop culture book too. Which works when you read in *right now* but down the road...it won't be as funny.

May 26, 2011 at 2:44 PM  
Katesmith0808 said...

Thanks for the review I passed this one by at costco even after I kept it in my cart until the checkout...I think I will pick it up next time! I think the cover is hysterical.

May 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM  

I always forget about buying books at Costco! Thanks for reminding me, especially as I think they are discounted, right?

May 27, 2011 at 7:43 AM  
Swank Mama said...

Haha we were in Chapters and Miss S couldn't stop staring at the cover of this book!

May 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM  
Aconny said...

Check out the book tape - there is an extra chapter
dedicated to motherhood and breastfeeding!

June 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails