Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

The Cost Of Living With Children

The other day I caught Ben standing in the living room and noticed that he was being rather quiet. I didn't think much of it until he shouted with glee and shouted 'look mama!' , and then proceeded to show me how he had been inserting pennies into the ventilation slots of our stereo system.

I know moments like this happen when you have children. The old classic of the grilled cheese being slid into the old school VCR comes to mind. It's curiosity at its messiest! So, it was hard to be angry at Ben when he was just being a normal curious two year old. He loves putting coins into his piggy bank and this cool machine had numerous slots to slide coins into.




When I told my husband about what had happened he was a little more upset than me. After all, it was his new stereo and it could have shorted out a thingamabob or that something-or-other could have blown. He had to get out some of his handy little tools and undo the side of the receiver to fetch the two dimes and seventeen pennies that had accumulated inside.

So far we haven't had to deal with too much destruction from Ben. A few tubes of my fancy lipsticks have been pummeled by little fingers pressing into the softness. There has been a few empty wine glasses pushed to the floor and shattered. Then there was the incident of the melted red crayon that stained the carpet under the heater in our dining area. All in all, not too bad for living with a full fledged toddler. I think.



Ben, 2 years and 8 months old.

14 comments:

Alexis said...

The Imp put a quarter, two dimes, and a nickel in the DVD slot on my MacBook before I noticed. Other than that, we've remained more or less unscathed too. :)

April 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM  
Anonymous said...

oh no! i cant wait.. He does make for some cute pics though! And good stories to share @ his wedding! lol
Rita

April 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM  
Unknown said...

LOL!!! We're just entering the phase of destruction with our 16 month old. In fact, I had my first book casualty this past week: death by colouring.

April 3, 2011 at 9:29 PM  
Unknown said...

Have you seen this website: http://www.shitmykidsruined.com/
It will make you happy for the coins in the stereo, trust me. LOL.

April 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM  
Anonymous said...

adorable and funny. it's strange; it seems that little girls don't really do that but little boys do. my niece didn't touch any of my sister's things - she just stuck to her toys but my nephew on the other hand.. he's a handful. my daughter is the same way - i just have to tell her not to touch something and she won't.

April 4, 2011 at 5:45 AM  
Laurel J. DeWitt said...

A chance to learn the difference between a piggy bank and a computer. Good thing to know!Cute Pictures!Love Laurel

April 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM  
Unknown said...

Jack likes playing with money. Last week he stuck coins into the handle of our dishwasher. Now the handle has moments where it won't work at all. Those coins are going to have to come out soon.
I love the picture of Ben. Such a big boy.

April 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM  
AliRose said...

Oh my he is cute. :)

The thing is, how can you actually be angry when he actually points out to you, with pride, what he has done? Clearly no ill-intent there! Just sweet toddler curiosity. I love it.

About a month ago we were hanging out in our basement and in the blink of an eye, I saw that Gus was holding my half-full cup of luke-warm coffee. My instant, no-thinking reaction was to leap at him and scream, GUS NO! PUT THAT DOWN! And sure enough, I freaked the poor kid out and he spiked the thing on the floor, on our brand new carpet. I was completely at fault for that incident.

I think you reacted to Ben's mischief perfectly. :)

April 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM  

He is TOO CUTE with his hands in his pockets!! Adorable!
did your package arrive safely?? I hope you like :)

April 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM  
Laurel J. DeWitt said...

A chance to learn the difference between a piggy bank and a computer. Good thing to know!Cute Pictures!Love Laurel

April 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM  
Jill said...

Have you seen this website: http://www.shitmykidsruined.com/
It will make you happy for the coins in the stereo, trust me. LOL.

April 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM  
Kristin said...

Ah! I hear you on that "suspicious silence" that sometimes happens! Fortunately I am having a hard time coming up with any disasters that we have had to manage. I am sure there have been a couple that I have suppressed in my memory! ; ) LOVE that adorable photo of Ben with his hands in his pocket!

April 8, 2011 at 11:25 PM  

I think my package is here!! There was a mix up with our condo concierge but my husbands swears there is a package there waiting for me to go and get. Will pick it up after work today. So happy!!!

April 9, 2011 at 6:43 AM  
mitzi said...

just saw this post on your LinkedWithin, that is the cutest boy-man picture of Ben ever!

June 21, 2013 at 4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails