Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Just For The Love Of It

The first baby I fell in love with was not my own. Instead, it was a sweet smoochy newborn named Sophie who entered the world with bright blue eyes and a smattering of fair hair seven years ago. I cuddled her and loved her and watched her grow. I delighted in all of her firsts and discovered what it meant to really love a child. She's my niece, my older sisters baby, and I've loved her right from the start.

The great thing about having sisters with babies is their children sort of feel like mine. I guess it's only natural this happens, maybe it's the sister connection, but I was still surprised by it at first. Now that my niece is an official 'big girl', we have this cozy relationship together and I get so much out of watching her get older. I love hearing her little voice change and watch her hair get longer. I love it when she asks me to paint her nails and do fun auntie things together.

Perhaps the very best thing is watching her love my son. She is tender and delicate with him and does things to make him happy. Right now she is visiting me for Spring Break and we're having a great time hanging out together. As I write this post, her and Ben and snuggling on the couch watching a 'babyish show' (as per Sophie because it's Curious George) and Ben is so enamoured with her. He is trying to sit on her lap like he does on mine. He thinks that she is such a big girl that she can hold him just like I do. It is so wonderful and cute to watch.



Hold me Soph.

6 comments:

Sister Sarah said...

I just love this...thanks for posting sis! Sophie's and Ben's connection is a special one for sure. How lucky are our kids to have cousins-something we didn't get to experience when we were kids!

March 23, 2011 at 9:17 PM  
Unknown said...

That is seriously cute the way he is loving up on her. What a great relationship.

March 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM  
Unknown said...

My niece was also my first baby love and now my son is just like that with his cousin! She is also visiting us for Spring Break and it's wonderful to have her around and watch them play together.

March 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM  
Anonymous said...

it's so true; seeing cousins together, loving each other touches your heart like nothing else. my nieces are the same way with my daughter who is the youngest of them all. they fawn all over her and take care of her; it's adorable. love the pic!

March 24, 2011 at 3:59 AM  
Anonymous said...

That is so heart warmingly sweet and a sight to take in. He probably thinks she is like an adult since he has known her since he was a baby. Great snapshot of them.

-Sharlene

March 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM  

My niece was also my first baby love and now my son is just like that with his cousin! She is also visiting us for Spring Break and it's wonderful to have her around and watch them play together.

April 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails