Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

I'm A List Making Fool

I am feeling it...the pressure of working long busy shifts while having an active toddler at home is catching up with me. Gone is the natural high of just returning to work and here are the days of feeling like I am drowning at times. I assume that this is normal and that some days will be smoother than others. I feel like there is a constant catch up on the laundry and less time to make plans with girlfriends and less time to keep up with emails and something has gotta give!!

When things get busy in my life I turn to list making to help me feel balance. I don't even have to be particularly busy to make a list and find comfort in the whole process of coming up with the 'to do' part. It isn't so much the act of crossing off each items but more about the process of writing things down. Sometimes I write down things that I have to go and do and other times it is a list all about advanced planning. Along with list making, advance planning makes me feel less stressed when things get busy.

Tomorrows 'to-do' list looks something like this:

-take Ben to baby music class
-send off sisters birthday card
-buy friends anniversary card and send off
-plan meals for coming week (a whole other 'to do' list!!)
-buy bath wash for Ben
-reschedule dentist appointment


Not too bad and not too crazy. Are you a list making fool like myself? Do you think making lists actually help to get things done? Let me know what you think. Make a list for me if you want ;)

5 comments:

Nat said...

I am totally with you with the list making thing. It makes me feel a little less frenzied with things get busy. I remember when returning to work that things seemed chaotic all of a sudden.

November 1, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Tara Repucci said...

I'm a spreadsheet-making, color-coding, list-loving girl after your own heart. Every morning, I try to accomplish one small task in each of the following categories:

Mind (work)
Body (exercise) - More often than not, it's just eating healthy and drinking lots of water.
Soul (time for me) - Blogging, photo editing, watching a movie or favorite show.
Heart (time for family) - Quality time with no interruptions. Sometimes it's baking cupcakes or going to the zoo. Sometimes it's just staying present for dinner and bathtime.
Home - A load of laundry, grocery shopping, taking a Magic Eraser to the walls or organizing a drawer. Simply putting the dishes in the dishwasher and straigthening up after the kids go to bed counts too.

A bit corny, but it makes me feel like I'm balancing it all.

November 2, 2009 at 3:41 AM  
Ashley said...

This is one list lovin' house over here. In fact my last two posts have been about love of the "listfulness"! There are days I have a list for dealing with a list..weird? Yes. Efficient? Absolutely. And the best part you can use Post-Its (squee!) or pretty paper/notebooks (sigh!).

November 2, 2009 at 8:02 AM  
Madelyn said...

oh wow, I am also a list making fool. I just find it to help me feel organized but sometimes I dont even consult the list, just knowing it is there somehow helps me. once christmas comes i will be even bigger on the list making. A list for everything; for dinner, presents, people to see, cards to write...etc...

November 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM  
Koo & Poppet said...

I am a list-making lunatic.
Sometimes I make lists of the lists I need to make.
That is a sure sign I'm on my way to Crazy Town.

November 2, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails