Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Over the last 4 years I have become quite the self proclaimed coffee connoisseur, AKA coffee snob. I used to swill back any old hot brown liquid and call it a day but things have since changed. When we got our first 'fancy' coffee maker as a wedding gift we would make pot after pot of coffee. Quickly my husband and I progressed to grinding our own beans and dabbling in french press coffee. The only thing we don't yet do is roast our own beans at home.

Now we have a daily coffee routine of grinding fresh beans in our burr grinder and using one of our two bodums to enjoy a nice fresh french press coffee. We are picky about what beans we use and have our ratios of fresh grinds to hot water for each of our presses. We like to buy 'The Cup of Excellence' from Caffee Artigiano but it gets really pricey after awhile at$35/lb, I know!.


Lately I have more moments of being in a hurry and don't have the time to put into making a french press and so I have been turning to a new 'go to' instant coffee. Yes, instant coffee. No fresh beans to grind, no blooming of the french press pot. Just instant coffee grinds and some hot water in a mug. It has replaced my $3.50 afternoon latte and the bad coffee that is in our staff room.

I got my husband to try it and he was all over comparing it to a 'real' cup of coffee. I think I remember hearing something like, "no strong under notes like the press but it passes". it is not in the same category as a delicious fresh french press but it is up there. It is better than grabbing a Tim Hortons drip, most restaurant coffee and all other instant coffee.



We have a stash in our pantry and I have a couple in my work bag for those moments where staff room coffee just won't cut it. I think this is a product that welcomes back 'Product Placement Wednesdays' in the perfect fashion. Let me know if you have tried this instant coffee and what you think about it.

6 comments:

Husband in the City said...

It was almost, but not quite entirely, unlike a cup of coffee.

October 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM  
Amy Redwood said...

Well! I am going to try this on my next visit to Starbucks. I hate most instant coffee but it would be nice to have a good one stocked in my purse.

October 22, 2009 at 2:54 PM  
Sarah Hannaford-Mcgregor said...

I've tried the Via instant coffee--it's pretty strong for me so I mananged to get two cups out of one packet (which makes it seem less pricey when you consider it's over $1.00 for one packet). I think Starbucks needs to rethink their marketing strategy though--they claim you can't taste the difference from their store-made brew (we're just not that smart I guess!!). Mike watched a news report the other day where they interviewed people on the street--four out of five people said it tasted like instant. But for a quick caffeine fix it's really not bad at all!

October 23, 2009 at 10:27 AM  
Mama in the City said...

I found that the medium roast was nicer than the dark..and you are right. I added way more water than was suggested.

October 23, 2009 at 12:26 PM  
Jenny said...

I LOVE it! It is the best instant hands down and I am picky. I think it tastes pretty much like drip coffee BUT it is fast and easy and I can have it anytime. I give it two thumbs up.

October 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM  
jessieeden said...

Your post is pretty illuminating and practical,I completely agree with the above comment. Thanks for the sharing.Will you share more about it? I just want to know more.You are very talented.I guess, this site would be my farorite one. Thank you again!!!

March 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails