Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Back At Work

Going back to work full time thing, and being the mum to a young boy, had me wondering how I was going to balance life and live to blog about it but I survived heading back to work and I am feeling pretty good about things right now. I know that I have only survived my first 2 shifts at the hospital but it's a start. And guess what? I am really loving being back into the whole labor, birth and babies area. I am loving it so much that I might have accidentally gushed a little too much over someones newborn babe and I might have shared a few too many details about my own labor with my patients but.... I survived!

My husband has been the parent on duty while I am at work and tomorrow I will be on duty, before I head to my night shift, while he works. It's a whole balance and trade off thing and we are in this together. Somehow this will all work out (I hope!).

Hosted by imgur.com

Hosted by imgur.com

Hosted by imgur.com

While I was working my boy figured out that feeding yourself is so much more fun than someone feeding you. So, Ben gave it a try and loved it. Here he is having his lunch of chicken and carrots made by his Dad. Thankfully my husband has his camera ready to go and can capture all Ben's moments for me to see.

Hosted by imgur.com

Hosted by imgur.com

Hosted by imgur.com

Hosted by imgur.com

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

So glad to have you back....

October 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM  
Mama in the City said...
Nat said...

Hey Andrea

Just a question...do you think you can support labouring women better now that you have had a baby (not saying that nurses without any don't do an excellent job)? I found I had a better understanding of what was happening and also would talk about my labour when appropriate. I think that some women felt relieved that I had a long, hard labour with my first and that just because you are a maternity nurse doesn't make you immune!
I'm sure they love having you back and I look forward to when we can work together again!
Nat

October 5, 2009 at 9:26 AM  
Mama in the City said...

You know, I do think that I am a better nurse now that I have been through pregnancy,birth and breastfeeding. I feel like I was a good caring nurse before but now it is on a different level with more compassion and understanding. I always hated when my patients would ask me if I had children. My answer was always, 'not yet!'. I felt like I was less qualified to understand them because I didn't have children. So, now it feels good to be able to say, 'yes! I understand!'. Know what I mean?

October 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Kristen said...

I just wanted to wish you well as you ease into the life of working mama

October 9, 2009 at 10:49 AM  
Mama in the City said...

Thanks Kristen..so far so good! I do enjoy having a coffee break. Mum's at home don't seem to get those!

October 9, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails