Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

My Roaring 20's

I was graciously welcomed into the start of my next decade yesterday and the introduction into my 30's was wonderful! I am curious what the 30's will bring to me because my 20's were pretty life shaping and significant. I think that a little recap is in order to fully appreciate this birthday occasion, a reflection for me!

At 20 I moved out of my parents house and into my own little low key apartment as I studied to be a nurse. I went through university and met some wonderful girlfriends through the 6 years that I spent studying. I met my husband-to- be around 23 years old but not before I had dated a few idiots; including one guy who after several months still called me Adrian and not Andrea. Hmm? What was I thinking?! I graduated with my degree in nursing and moved to the city the very next day. Onwards and upwards is what I was dreaming. My mid 20's are reminiscent of a lot of 'Liquid Therapy' nights with fellow co workers at downtown night clubs and dinners out in the city. Good memories and good times and frankly it just sounds exhausting to me right now.

My mid 20's also brought me returning back to school to focus on my perinatal specialty in nursing for labor and delivery. I worked at the exact same hospital where, at 29 years old, I gave birth to my son Benjamin. The last year of my 20's was tied up in learning about being a mother and wrangling an active baby. I'm definitely not the same person as I was at the start of the decade and I much prefer myself now than the floundering 20 year old that I was. So, I am curious what this next decade will bring to me. I have started my career and have started my family and have traveled around. I am excited to see what is next!



PS. See the gorgeous orchid lei in that picture.... compliments of my husband and hinting at our upcoming vacation!

1 comments:

Allison said...

Love love that pic of you. Looking good in your 30s I would say! Happy Birthday to you.

August 2, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails